After a long wait, the WooCommerce Import Export option is here. Finally, Woocommerce introduces official Import & Export option in his plugin. Earlier it was not an option in the official plugin, we have to use the third party plugin for that. Basically, Import & Export option is useful when you have so many products to upload in your WooCommerce website.
Earlier we were able to add products one by one, for bulk import we have to use third party plugin. But in the new update, WooCommerce has a built-in product CSV importer and exporter, as of version 3.1x.
Import, export or update hundreds or thousands of products in your WooCommerce store with a single CSV. This tool supports all product types, including variations.
Create your CSV
To import new products or update existing products, you need a CSV containing your product information. You can:
- Export a CSV of products from an existing store.
- Create a CSV of products using this blank and formatted CSV file.
- Import a CSV file with dummy data and replace it.
- Use your own CSV. Any information you wish to include should follow the formatting and columns of the Product CSV Import Schema.
If using the built-in WooCommerce tool to export a CSV, it already follows the schema and is ready to use. If using the blank and formatted CSV file, it also follows the schema; just be sure to enter the info as instructed at Product CSV Import Schema.
- CSVs should be in UTF-8 format.
- Dates should be defined for the store’s local timezone.
- Use 1 or 0 in your CSV, if importing a Boolean value (true or false)
- Multiple values in a field get separated with commas.
- Prefix the id with
id:if referencing an existing product ID. No prefix is needed if referencing an SKU. For example:
- Custom meta is supported/imported but only plain text – no support for JSON or Serialized data.
- Taxonomy term hierarchy is denoted with
>, terms are separated with commas.
- Images need to be pre-uploaded or available online to import to your store.
- External URLs are supported and imported into the Media Library if used.
- You can define the filename if the image already exists in the Media Library.
Adding New Products
First-time and existing store owners using WooCommerce can use the CSV to add new products with one upload.
- Go to: WooCommerce > Products.
- Select Import at the top. The Upload CSV File screen displays.
- Select Choose File and the CSV you wish you use.CSV delimiter (Advanced option): Generally CSV elements are separated by a comma. If you are using a different delimiter in your file, you can set it here.
- Continue.The Column Mapping screen displays, and WooCommerce automatically attempts to match or “map” the Column Name from your CSV to Fields.
- Use dropdown menus on the right side to adjust fields or indicate ‘Do not import.’
*Any unrecognized columns will not be imported by default.
- Select Run the Importer.
- Wait until the Importer is finished. Do not refresh or touch the browser while in progress.
Store owners wishing to export their current catalog of products for any reason can generate a CSV using the Product Importer/Exporter.
- Go to: WooCommerce > Products.
- Select Export at the top. The Export Products screen displays.
- Select to Export All Columns. Or select which columns to export by using the drop-down menu.
- Select to Export All Products. Or select which product types to export by using the drop-down menu.
- Tick the checkbox for Export Custom Meta, if you need this info.Meta data on your products is typically from other plugins. Meta data columns are exported following the
meta:-prefix standard detailed above in the importer mapping section. By default, no additional meta data is exported.
- Select Generate CSV. Wait for the export to finish.
- Exit the exporter.